The Manager, Research and Analysis, leads many of PSC’s quantitative and qualitative research and analytics offerings, particularly those focusing on contract spending data and federal budget information. The Manager also supports many of PSC’s other advocacy-related activities, with tasks including research, writing, client relationship management, and internal logistics.
The Manager is responsible for using a wide range of data to investigate what the government is buying, from whom, and how it is buying it. The results of this research are used to support PSC advocacy and education efforts, to help the government contracting industry and the general public better understand government budgets, programs, and contracts.
Research and analytics:
- Contracting data: The manager is responsible for analyzing and understanding federal contracting data from the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS) and other sources.
- The Manager will utilize SQL (or a similar data tool), as well as external subscription services, to access FPDS contracting data. The manager will be responsible for all steps of downloading, importing and maintaining this large, government-furnished dataset (~50 GB.)
- The Manager will be responsible for assessments and summaries of contract spending data for a variety of regular PSC publications and other uses.
- The Manager will engage in specific research assignments based on guidance from senior staff. These research assignments range from answering simple questions that can be completed in minutes to comprehensive, in-depth research projects lasting weeks. The Manager will present the results of the research to PSC members, government representatives, or other audiences, as needed.
- The Manager will proactively search for new avenues of research to provide senior staff with an understanding of the “art of the possible.”
- Other research
- The Manager will be responsible for supporting other PSC research, including PSC’s regular surveys of government officials. Responsibilities on these projects include assisting in the development of survey questions, conducting surveys, and writing significant aspects of the final reports/presentations.
- The Manager will conduct specific research assignments on a broad array of topics, including for example the composition of the federal workforce, R&D funding, grants data, federal budgets, etc.
- The manager will create and update presentation material as needed for senior staff.
Support of other initiatives:
- The Manager will support PSC advocacy efforts, through researching and writing, preparing for meetings and events, conducting some administrative duties, and conducting all other duties as assigned.
- Specific writing tasks will include formal comments to the government concerning specific procurements or regulations, whitepapers, and newsletter articles.
- The Manager will work with members of the PSC Events Team and Marketing Team to ensure events run smoothly and have appropriate levels of attendance.