The Chief Operating Officer will drive significant impact at Yoga Alliance. As a true partner to the CEO, supporting his vision and priorities, the COO will have full operational responsibility for the day-to-day implementation of a new and exciting strategic plan. S/he will recruit, mentor, and motivate a passionate team, inspire a high performance culture where organizational values are embedded in all activities, and ensure the organization has aligned plans and the operational discipline to achieve its goals.
Mindful and compassionate, the COO must also be a seasoned, process-minded leader of growth, with strong talent development, business, planning and financial skills, and an unflagging commitment to operational excellence. Pluses would include experience scaling customer-focused educational and/or advocacy programs.
Reports to: David Lipsius, President and CEO
Location: Arlington, VA
Strategy and Program implementation
- Strengthen all areas of member development, engagement and services;
- Grow teacher, school and continuing education provider membership and expand to new markets;
- Oversee the ongoing landscape analysis of the field of yoga; integrate and adjust program plans and services based on fact-based trends, constituent needs and YA goals;
- Identify credentialing issues and opportunities, member and community concerns, and competitive and business risks; advise CEO and Board with regard to strategy, policies and priorities;Ensure the two legal entities have the appropriate internal processes and policies to work in mutually-reinforcing ways;
- Foster relationships across the national and international yoga community to build trust and reputation;
- Enhance continuing education opportunities for members; develop field-leading strategy to educate the public on all aspects of yoga and the work of YA;
- Develop mutually beneficial partnerships and relationships with complementary organizations, individuals and entities.
- Build and sustain a positive staff culture of inclusion, respect, quality and excellence;
- Model innovation and values of service to members, alongside continuous improvement and learning;
- Ensure systems are in place to effectively recruit, retain, train, support, and evaluate a highly motivated, and diverse staff;
- Enhance performance management systems to support professional development;
- Support a values-driven and mission-focused culture that serves as an example within the field of yoga.
Communications and Advocacy
- Oversee the development of communications campaigns to spread the word about this important part of Yoga Alliance’s work, in parallel to specific plans that detail and sequence both state- and federal- strategies;
- Ensure monitoring and analysis of pending legislation, regulation, or government oversight activity in all 50 states and certain large localities affecting yoga studios, instructors, and teacher training programs;
- Anticipate legislative and political trends; help Yoga Alliance identify and manage any associated risks;
- Manage the development of the association’s political giving strategy in an effort to bolster individual and industry allies.
Finance and Administration
- Oversee financial planning, budgeting, expense management, cash flow, investment priorities, and organizational operations to achieve the optimal resource allocation that balances programmatic goals, new opportunities, and resource constraints;
- Provide the CEO, Board, and other key members of senior management with visibility and transparency into the organization’s financial health;
- Evaluate and analyze long-term multi-year financial planning that ensures scale and growth are appropriately resourced;
- Lead Yoga Alliance’s annual financial audits;
- Affirm that the technology infrastructure supports Yoga Alliance’s members and constituents;
- Manage and oversee business contracts and oversee vendor selection and management.