Provide professional staff support for evidence-based clinical practice guideline and consensus statement development. Conduct CHEST methodologic protocols including, but not limited to, development of clinical questions, literature searches, evidence extraction, assessment of study quality, creation of evidence tables, and development of statements. Manage assigned guideline projects. Coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously including writing reports, managing guideline development efforts, coordinating subcommittee activities, maintaining literature databases and EndNote libraries.
- Conduct comprehensive and systematic literature reviews on assigned topics of CHEST interest as defined by the Guidelines Oversight Committee (GOC), including guidelines, consensus statements, and other scientific resources, which will include but not be limited to the following:
- Develop clinical questions utilizing the PICO model
- Formulate search strategies and conduct systematic and comprehensive literature searches
- Sort through search results to identify relevant studies
- Acquire articles, maintain article files and EndNote libraries
- Review articles and extract relevant data into evidence tables (summary of findings, descriptive, and methodological assessment tables) and evidence profiles
- Assess study quality
- Conduct meta-analyses
- Write systematic reviews
- Facilitate interpretation of evidence tables and profiles
- Conduct literature searches that enable GOC to assess currency and determine the need for or justification to conduct a new or targeted update of existing guidelines or consensus statements.
- Provide ongoing consultation to the expert work groups and the GOC Committee on grading evidence and evaluating available literature in support of guideline production. Work with volunteer clinicians in selecting the inclusion criteria for literature searches, abstraction of data, the interpretation of evidence tables and profiles, and the methodology of evidence-based guideline production.
- Assist in the refinement of guideline methodologies to improve guideline production.
- Develop research reports and papers on topics of interest to CHEST.
- Monitor and evaluate new literature in those topic areas assigned and prepare regular reports to GOC.
- Draft requests for proposals, funding applications, manuscripts, and other papers as requested.
- Work with guideline project manager to manage guideline and/or consensus statements projects during planning, development, publication, distribution, and implementation. This includes coordinating panel and project development; establishing timelines and budgets for each project; and conforming to GOC policies and procedures.
- Assist with the development of implementation and evaluation tools to be used with CHEST guidelines, guideline derivative products, consensus statements, and evidence-based programs.
- With appropriate staff support (eg, guideline project manager), assist with planning and coordinating conferences and meetings of the assigned guideline or consensus statement panels, prepare minutes, collect materials, maintain databases, review manuscripts, and submit documents for review and publication.
- Work with the GOC Committee and staff on matters that arise before the Committee or subcommittees and action items that are identified as the result of such interactions, as assigned.
- Maintain regular communication with department staff, members of the GOC team, and assigned guideline/consensus statement panels.
- Maintain and update (as indicated) the GOC Web site, in coordination with other CHEST staff.
- Identify potential grant opportunities. Assist in writing grants for projects identified by Supervisor.
- Assist with other projects and tasks of the department, as necessary, including obtaining articles and documents requested by CHEST staff.